Creating a Next Year environment is a required process each year, regardless of the extent to which your school uses the SIRS Scheduler. This must be done once per School -- even if your School doesn't schedule students into specific classes at specific times of the day. Most tasks in this article are done at the School level, although some can be done at the Board/District level.
A critical piece of the Next Year environment is your school track(s).
- The setup phase creates Next Year Tracks for the user.
- One Track, renamed with a prefix NYR, will be created for each Track your School has in the Current Year.
- DO NOT manually add Next Year Tracks.
- The Staff, Homeroom, Room, Tracks, Course and Student tables are common to the Current Year and the new schedule being created. These tables are shared; any changes made in those tables affect both Current and Next Year. This is why, for instance, we advocate you do not DELETE Courses you won't be offering next year. If you delete them, they are deleted from Current Year as well.
- In a multi-school environment, Creating a Next Year environment must be performed at the School level for each School.
If a webinar covering this topic appeals to you, Click Here
Before you begin
|BACK UP YOUR DATA !|
Remove all old tracks from previous years.
- DO NOT remove or adjust your Current Year Track.
- Hybrid clients: To achieve the most-consistent results we highly recommended all work in this article -- and, later, the actual Scheduling of students -- be completed in SIRS. Research has shown creating Tracks in SIRS and then trying to schedule later in SchoolLogic will result in grief.
Removing Old Tracks
Performed at the School level.
If the only track(s) available belong to your Current Year, go straight to the next section, Create Next Year.
To remove old track(s), go here: Setup > Tracks.
- Highlight Track to remove
- Click on the last Term. Delete all Report Periods and then delete the Term.
- Repeat for all Terms within the Track
- Highlight Track. Delete all Blocks and Days
- Delete the Track itself.
- If you get a message about the Track being used by some other entries:
- Make Sure you are, indeed, NOT on your Current Year Track;
- Double-click the other entires (usually Calendar).
- Assuming the pop-up shows you Calendar dates (or other data) truly part of the Track you're trying to delete, close the pop up, make sure the element you wish to delete is highlighted and Click Remove Links:
- Repeat for all Tracks except the Current Year Track(s).
Create Next Year -- one time ONLY
Performed at the School Level. Must be done once per School -- even if your School doesn't schedule students into specific classes at specific times of the day.
- Schedule > Next Year Scheduler
If you have not entered the Next Year Scheduler yet, you will be asked:
- SIRS will then ask whether you wish to Delete Requests. Unless you have entered Requests for Next Year already, this question is referring to the Requests which Students entered last year to get their Current Year Classes. Therefore, most of you should Click Yes.
- SIRS will process for a bit, then display:
- Click OK.
- Go here: Setup > Masterboard. This Screen appears:
You now have the option to copy the current board (classes and schedules) or to create a new, blank board (without classes and schedules).
Note: The Initial Board is a copy of the Current Year board, including the timetable attached to your Next Year track that SIRS has created. A blank board
will not contain the current timetable of classes.
If you wish to create a new, blank timetable, complete these steps:
- Click Add Blank.
- Enter a name for this board in the Name field. Click OK.
- If you wish to copy an existing timetable, complete the following steps
- Highlight the Board you want to copy and click Copy Board.
- Enter a name in the Name field. Click OK.
There are two Avenues ahead -- both pursued at the School level:
- On the School side, there are Tracks, Terms, Days and Periods to be edited. Strictly speaking, you do not need the final dates filled in until just before School starts. But, before you Schedule, you DO need to have the NUMBER of Terms, Days and Periods entered and once you've scheduled, don't change their quantity. Click Here for our Article on that.
- On the Student side, there are many Student Details to be edited. Continue reading below. We also have another article on the Student side: Click Here.
Assigning Next Year Fields to Students - School Level
Assigning students' Next Year Tracks, Grades and Statuses must be completed to make students available for Next Year Scheduling, including making this year's graduates available at Next Year's schools (meaning: Graduates of your Elementaries and Middle Schools who will be attending your Middle and High Schools).
- Verify NYR Fields are empty. Clear them out to make sure. Go here: Student > Global Updates. Group: All Students. Select field: NYR field of your choice. Select Value: Leave it blank. Click Next, then Yes, twice. Repeat for all NYR fields.
- Go here: Setup > Next Year > Setup Next Year Tracks, Grades and Statuses. Even if the process has been previously completed, this page will always display blank NYR values by default. Note: This is a global process and field selections are populated for the flow of the general school population. Exceptions can be handled individually through Student Info-1 or Global Updates. We recommend each School completes this form once, logged in as school operator. And we recommend the process be completed:
- first by elementary buildings;
- then by middle schools;
- then by high schools.
This will allow intake schools to populate the required Next Year fields for incoming pre-registered students -- as opposed to, for example, a high school not having next year's ninth graders available to them because the middle school didn't yet process this year's eighth graders. A webinar covering this specifically AND this entire process in general is available: Learn more here. NOTE: If populating student NYR fields is not completed in an ascending school order (Elementary, Middle, High School) within the District, it is critical that these fields are reviewed and, where necessary, populated through Global Updates prior to running your Demographic Rollover.
- Using the picklist in each field, populate fields according to your School / District policies. A Next Year Track will not be entered for students leaving your school.
- NYr School does not display on the Setup Next Year Tracks, Grades and Statuses. You will have to use Global Updates to assign Next Year's School.
Students remaining in your school must have:
- NYr In Status...this is the status you want them to show for re-entering your school next fall
- NYr Grade
- NYr Track.
- NYr school = current school
Students leaving your school for a school within district (i.e. going from junior to high school):
- NYr School = new school (populated by the outgoing school)...this choice makes them available to next year's school
- NYr Out Status (populated by the outgoing school)...this is the status you want them to show for the end of this school year
- NYr In Status (populated by the intake school)
- NYr Grade = (populated by the intake school)
- NYr Track (populated by the intake school)
Students leaving your school and district
- NYr Out Status = Graduated or Transfer out
- No other field is required
5. Click Submit
IMPORTANT: Unless the entire form is re-populated with the correct information, run this process just once. Running the process a second time with only changes entered, submits the entire page, not just the changes. So, manual changes which may have been made since the last time this form was submitted will be overwritten.
NOTE: Do not put out-of-District school names into NY School. Our demo rollover cannot process an enrollment into a School that does not exist in your database.
6. Go to: Student > Info-1. Confirm Next Year information is correct. If fields are incorrect, use Global Updates to correct.
Next Year Data Check - School Level - Optional
We recommend each school confirm the accuracy of students' Next Year Fields after the completion of submitting NYr fields, and, again, prior to running a year-end Demographic Rollover. Correct entry of Next Year fields is critical to a successful Demographic Rollover.
This can be done two ways:
- Student Demographics. Go here: Student > Info-1. Review a cross section of all grades (both remaining and transferring out students) to ensure all required Next Year Fields are correctly populated.
- Create a User Defined Report. Go here: Student > User Defined Reports.
Generating your report in ASCII text or Excel format allows you to save the report to their workstation for further analysis in Excel.
Microsoft Excel - Optional
Open the report you exported from SIRS in Microsoft Excel.
Select All > Go To > Data > Click on Filter
This activates auto-filter. Picklist arrows will display on the right-hand corner of each column.
Example of filtering:
In the Grade column, click on the picklist arrow and select 12. Click OK
This will filter the spreadsheet to display only the current grade 12 students. For them, the only NYr field that should be populated is NYr Out Status with a status of Graduated or similar.
If needed, corrections must be made in SchoolLogic through:
- Demographic Next Year Fields or
- Global Update (Student > Global Update)
Reminder: Students transferring between schools within the same District must have both a NYR InStatus (how they are entering Building 2 next fall) and NYR OutStatus (how they are leaving building 1 this spring) along with NYR School and NYR Grade. The intake school will provide the NYR Track.
For any questions or concerns, please contact Our Support Desk for assistance
Another example of filtering
Suppose you wish to find all students without a Next Year Track: Click on the picklist for Next Year Track and select Blanks. Then Click Ok. This will display all students missing a Next Year Track.